Old 04-30-2017, 08:58 PM
quiltingcandy

I I wish I was in your shoes!!! If I didn't love my daughters so much I would return in a heart beat. My dad was raised in Wellington, KS and worked for Boeing in Wichita - we lived in Mulvane. Boeing transferred us to Seattle. My dad said it was a good move since there were no tornados in WA - we were in Seattle area maybe a month when they had a tornado..... My grandparents and aunt and uncle and other family members lived in various parts of KS. There isn't one day since the day we left that I haven't wanted to move home. (My mother was born in Burlington, KS and raised in Emporia - they met at KU.)

My mother always said I had a "romantic" view of Kansas, but when I go back I always feel like I am home. My aunt, my mom's sister, has be PhD in biology from UCLA - she inherited the family home and lives there 6 months out of the year, the other half she is LA because that is where her children are. She understands how I feel. I go back as often as I can - at least once a year to put flowers on the family graves.

The Flint Hills is the oldest mountain range in the US. They are beautiful and the wild flowers are always beautiful. My grandfather once said whenever he was traveling (they always took a long vacation in the summer since he was a teacher) he knew when he was back in KS by the way be was treated at the filling stations. People always talked to him. And you could tell where the people were from if they are driving their own car, because the county is identified on the license plate. So if you are friendly, they will be friendly too. Probably why you son wants to stay there.

My sister worked at the newspaper in Burlington after she graduated from college - she was left go when she became engaged back in 1975, but she was planning to move back to Ellensburg WA to be closer to our parents, but not too close.

Okay, I will stop, I am still very envious and hope your move goes well and you are happy.

Last edited by quiltingcandy; 04-30-2017 at 09:13 PM.