View Single Post
Old 05-30-2017, 06:39 AM
bkay

I second Sew Let's Quilt it in Richardson. Great service and some fabrics that are not on every corner. (Sign up for Patty's newsletter and get notice of any sales she's having while you're here.) There's a little shop in East Dallas called Urban Spools. It's specialty is "modern". They have really nice people, too. I second Fabric Fanatics, but they only have batiks and white. Again, nice people.

If you're a bargain hunter, try Wearhouse Fabrics on Harry Hines and Golden D'or down the street from them. They have name brand quilting fabrics in the $5.00 - $6.00 range. They are last year's fabrics, though. (Check online for Golden D'or coupons for an extra little bit of savings.) I buy lots of "I spy" fabrics there. (Both are warehouse/outlet type businesses.)

Here is a comprehensive list from the Dallas Quilters' guild. http://www.quiltersguildofdallas.org/local_quilt_shops

Dallas/Ft. Worth is a huge area. I think the metroplex area is about 3.5 million people now. Traffic is so bad that you probably will only get to some reasonably close to your Son's home. I've only been to the shops in Dallas, Richardson and Plano. My cousin shops at Quilt country. I've heard that the shop in downtown Mesquite is really nice. Thompson's in Town East has a good fabric selection, but they aren't nice or cheap. They are mostly in the sewing machine business. Same for Rockin Bobbins, but it has a cute name. Of course, we have lots of JoAnn's and Hobby Lobby stores. The WalMart store on Hwy. 80 in Mesquite has a great fabric department for a Walmart.

I forgot to mention a great little shop in Wylie. It's called Blue Ribbon Quilt Shop. I was really stuck on a design for an ABC I spy quilt. The lady there had a great idea and the perfect fabric to execute it.

Have fun in the area. Besides the traffic, it's a great place to visit. People are friendly and helpful.

bkay