View Single Post
Old 06-21-2017, 08:17 AM
Annaquilts
Power Poster

Thumbs up

I love tied quilts and they are so comfy. I do think you are right about the wear and tear. Be sure to tie slightly apart, as in when doing the tie do not come back through the same hole. Keeping a wider space makes it stronger. Also increasing the number of ties makes it stronger. Have you considered putting in some primitive quilting with big stitches? You use a heavier crochet thread or can spend some more and get some fancy thread from a quilt store. I seldom tie but I agree with the above poster, tied quilts are lovely. They are also the warmest and some of the most sought after quilts at my house. I have a long arm so not many of my quilts are tied but I do love them. At times I even add some bright red ties to a quilt even though it is already quilted the normal way. Please post some pictures of your quilt. It sounds like your tied quilts are well loved and that is why maybe they need some repair.

OK the correct term is big stitch hand quilting. Sew beautiful!

https://www.google.com/search?biw=11....0._WaMHi0dJq4

It basically looks like a running stitch. I think I will let my 11 yr old do this on her next little quilt. Too cute! The less perfect the better. I will let her add some ties too if she wants.

Last edited by Annaquilts; 06-21-2017 at 08:27 AM.