View Single Post
Old 07-20-2017, 08:04 AM
Sleepy Hollow

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576851[/ATTACH]

Another block that's just a panel, mostly in there because of the barn. Gramma and Grampa did grow corn, but not this much!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576852[/ATTACH]

My SIL pieced four small leaf blocks together, and I scattered them throughout the quilt. My dad's favorite season is fall, and mom has done a lot of decorations with leaves. She often didn't just do flower arrangements at the church, but would decorate the foyer as well. Someone asked her how she got her leaves to look placed so "naturally". She told them she just grabbed a handful and threw them...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576853[/ATTACH]

The thimble fabric on the side is a "filler fabric".
The cuckoo clock-- my parents had always wanted a cuckoo clock. Mom even bought a really cheap plastic one years ago (it now hangs on the porch). In 2015, my son and I went on a five week trip to Europe. The trip had been a dream of mine, but we had one problem-- my dog. I couldn't find a neighbor kid to come feed her/walk her a couple times a day, and the trip was long so boarding her would be expensive (and not ideal for her). She was a sweet dog, but had been a shelter dog, and I didn't want her feeling abandoned and in a cage for that long. My parents offered to keep her for me. She was just a doll, but man she was a character, stubborn, etc. And she didn't move around things, she was so solid that she would walk into something and it would just move out of her way. She loved to chew on plastic and rubber, but even with all her toys, my parents lost a flip-flop and a fly swatter to her!

As a "thank you" for taking care of her, I bought a cuckoo clock from Germany for them. I was even able to find one without beer (they don't drink). I put it up for them when it arrived, and they "wind" it every day. They definitely earned that clock!
Attached Thumbnails barn-corn.jpg   leaf-felines.jpg   cuckoo-clock.jpg