View Single Post
Old 07-21-2017, 07:02 PM
Sleepy Hollow

Some "filler fabrics". I knew I'd have holes, so I set aside some printed fabric I would be able to use to fill them. Even the filler fabric was meant to have some kind of meaning.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576945[/ATTACH]

One of the things we did whenever there was enough snow, was build a big snowman in the front yard. Mom would supply a carrot and buttons, and we'd find an old scarf and snow cap.

Dad's favorite season is fall, so I have fall leaves on the top and bottom border.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576946[/ATTACH]

We would make Jack o' Lanterns every Halloween, so I included some of those as a filler fabric.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576947[/ATTACH]

My SIL made two small diamonds with flower fabric, to toss in where they would fit.
The green flowers along the side are for one on my mom's favorite colors (green...), but is also long enough that I can add a "grandkid" fabric over it if there is any need for an extra spot in the future.

The dragonflies are part of the border. They are my favorite insect, and my mom always points them out when they fly by.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576948[/ATTACH]

Seed packets. My mom grows hundreds of plants every season, all from seed.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576949[/ATTACH]

Rabbits. Not a usual animal to think of with my parents, but my mom used to drive a van when I was little that had a case (motor? drive? engine?) between the front seats. When I asked her what was in it, she told me those were the "rabbits in the engine". Seems like a lot of things were powered by critters growing up...!

Completely unrelated, but a child insight I shared with my parents recently, when my car hit 200k miles. My mom was driving the old Impala, and she kept saying that the car was going to roll over soon. In fact, it would roll over in just "x" miles. I was so scared that she sounded just fine with this, even a little exited. I was so scared to be in the car, but when it "rolled over", nothing happened! My dad laughed when I told him this, knowing I was the "logical/literal" child. I was five when he was in the race for sheriff, and my brother still tells the story of me asking if he was going to run or drive a car. I'm glad no one told me he was running, because he wasn't built for running!
Attached Thumbnails snowmen-leaves.jpg   pumpkins-leaves.jpg   dimond-flowers-dragonflies.jpg   seed-packets.jpg   rabbits.jpg