Old 07-29-2017, 04:28 PM
mountainwoman

Wow, 36X36 is too small! The Honor Flight recipients receive a lap quilt/throw/lap robe; the 36X36 is a fairly standard baby quilt. I just made 2 quilts for the Honor Flight quilting group "Quilts from the Heart" in Colorado Springs. These quilts are 45" X 60". The pattern is the same: (1) 5 strips cut selvage to selvage and one 10 wide strip at the top and one 10" strip at the bottom. The strips should measure 8 1/2" finished. HOWEVER, that does not come up to 45" for me. SO, to make my life easy, using the rulers I have, this is what I do: USING MY 8 1/2" RULER, I cut 5 - 8 1/2" strips (3 - 5 five different patriot fabrics). USING MY 10 1/2" RULER, I cut two strips that are long enough to be attached to the bottom and top of these 5 long strips. The quilters in Colorado Springs said they use 45" fabric and cut it selvage-to-selvage. Alas, the fabric I buy is 42" wide. TO GET TO THE CORRECT WIDTH OF 45" FOR THE FINISHED PRODUCT, I cut 2 lengthwise 3" strips and add them as a small border on each side. I actually think this is much more attractive than just the 5 straight strips with two 10" pieces to and bottom. I think I am going to start cutting these long borders 2 1/2" rather than 3 so that I can easily my 2 1/2" x 24" ruler. I may come up a bit short in width, but not enough to matter. I use the standard 1/4" seam. HOPE THIS HELPS! Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

​A quilt is a treasure that follows its owner everywhere...