View Single Post
Old 08-27-2017, 02:40 PM
quiltingshorttimer

Originally Posted by eyes View Post
Someone has asked my daughter to make a memory t shirt quilt for him which means I am doing it. I have been reading up on this for days and the one question I have and is never discussed is the type of thread used on a home sewing machine for joining and quilting. Am I using 100% cotton or ?

Thank you for your help.
whatever thread you would normally use is fine. I use either a cotton or a cotton/poly thread. i no longer make t-shirt quilts for others, but when i did, I would first cut away sleeves & neck and then cut my blocks--if you use all the same size block it's easier. I use Pellon 911FF interfacing, with cotton sashings & borders and then just a meander to quilt--the shirts with the large "plastic" logo's you will want to quilt around, but be careful quilting through--they needle will sometimes be slower through it and if you have to rip you will be left with holes. And watch that you don't hit one of those logo's with a hot iron--it will make a huge mess! also, know that if your interfacing is not sticking well to a t-shirt it could be that the shirt is a poly and you'll need to adjust your iron. Good luck! p.S.--I'd make my DD work with me on this one--don't want all her friends getting the idea that she can make these!