View Single Post
Old 10-03-2017, 05:05 PM
MadCow333

I bought a really decent clone of the Instant Pot, the Magic Chef MCSMC10S7 from Home Depot. It has a stainless steel cookpot, like the IPs, but it was only $49.99 or so in July during their red white blue sale. I belong to the Facebook for this model, and someone on there said the ones that didn't sell during the rwb sale were marked down to $20 later! (Holy cow, that would have been a DEAL! lol) And it will go on sale most likely early November when they start the Black Friday sales. The fish and steam programs are low pressure, but you are limited to finite times. All the other programs and the manual program are high pressure only. The Instant Pot Duo cookers allow you to choose custom times with either high or low pressure. I don't make yogurt but I have heard that the yogurt setting on the Magic Chef is just an incubation cycle, whatever that means. But the there are instructions on the Internet for making yogurt in an IP Lux or any other cooker that doesn't have a yogurt program built in. I like the Magic Chef. For under $50, it was a real nice entry into electronic pressure cooking without either spending a lot or buying cheap. I am NOT a fan of nonstick coatings of any kind, so the stainless cookpot was a huge selling point to me.

Amazon and Best Buy have been running little short 1-2 days sales $69.99 the Instant Pot IP Duo60 V2, which is the gold standard for electronic pressure cookers. It is the most popular IP model and size. Everyone says wait for Black Friday sales now, because all the Instant Pot models will be available at best prices of the year other than Prime Day.

I bought an actual IP Duo60 V2 from Best Buy over Labor Day weekend. It was $79.99, free shipping, and they also gave a $10 Best Buy gift certificate with it. I was interested in the Smart model. But I did the math and decided I could buy the Duo60 for $69.99, then go to the Instant Pot store and buy a bare Smart base for about $65 with free shipping, and I'd have both the Duo60 and Smart options that way because those 2 bases take the same lid, inner pot , cord, etc. I haven't bought the Smart base yet, and don't know if I will. But I used those numbers to decide whether I wanted to get the Duo60 V2 for $69.99 now or hold out for the Smart to possibly go on sale for Black Friday. The Smart sounds fun to play with and it can sous vide like the Ultra but I am not yet convinced that I actually want to cook my food in a plastic bag. That has a real strong ick factor for me. lol

Another budget-friendly model the Instant Pot owners say is a good 1st cooker is the Ambiano(?) that Aldo is offering for only $39.99. Nonstick pot. 3 year warranty. It's been in stores over a month now, so maybe it's even priced less than $39.00 by now. 6 qt.

eta: I now own 2 cookers but I haven't used them much due to lack of time to learn the technology and do the meal planning. This is going to be more of a winter project for me.

Last edited by MadCow333; 10-03-2017 at 05:08 PM.