View Single Post
Old 10-20-2017, 07:49 AM
Jeanette Frantz

I inherited something similar (not pattern-wise). I'm not sure if it is hand-pieced, or machine pieced, but I am sure that it is at least 100 years old. It is tied, and the cotton batting is lumpy, extremely heavy, and in general a total mess. Surprisingly, the quilt top itself appears to be in very good condition. It has a pieced back, and was a "birthed" quilt (I think that's the correct terminology). There is no binding. I'm relatively sure that I can take this quilt apart without damaging it, and replace the batting with something that is NOT going to become lumpy and so very heavy. I would then propose hand-quilting it to preserve its character. I solicit and will welcome suggestions on this! It is really hard to believe the batting is so very heavy, except that those long winters in Kansas and Oklahoma are very, very cold. I do not have photos taken of the quilt, but will do so and post them at my earliest opportunity. Thank you.

Last edited by Jeanette Frantz; 10-20-2017 at 07:50 AM. Reason: additional content