Old 10-27-2017, 07:13 AM
bkay

I'm not a lawyer either. However, it seems clear that when push comes to shove, that the licensee has no control or say-so what you do with the fabric once you buy it. Everything I've read says anything past "1st sale" is not covered by a copyright. I've read anecdotal things online that indicate some smaller "copyright" holders will threaten to sue you (I'm talking individual quilt designers, etc.) for selling a quilt made from their pattern. That's not likely, as hiring a lawyer to do the suing is not cheap. Threatening to sue is cheap, however. Having a lawyer write a letter is cheap also.

The NFL keeps a staff of attorneys to enforce their copyrights and licenses. So aggravating you is cheap for them. You'd have to make a lot of quilts to get their attention, though. You'd probably have to imply or say that your quilt itself is licensed to get their attention even then. I wouldn't think that making a few Ohio State quilts would draw anyone's attention. Nor would they care as long as you don't imply that you are an "authorized quilter" for Ohio State.

bkay