View Single Post
Old 10-27-2017, 10:04 AM
cathyvv

Oh, yes, this is a dilemma. I have a quilt top that my grandmother made and my mother inherited it and kept it in a drawer for almost 40 years. When helping her clean out her stuff, I pulled it out and she said, "I don't know what to do with that." There was a story of disappointment for her around keeping it in the drawer, but won't go into that.

So I told her I'd take it, and it introduced me to quilting. I rented time on a long arm and free motion quilted it. Had no clue what I was doing, and now look back at that quilting and laugh. However, even though it is a truly ugly scrappy quilt, clearly meant to be used and abused to death, it looks better on a bed than it ever did in a drawer. When small grands visit, we look at the different fabrics in it and decide which is our favorite, so it is making memories for them and for me.

Which is the point of this. If you tuck those quilts away in a trunk again, no one gets any pleasure or memories from them. Take them out and use them. That's a much better fate for a quilt than isolation and dry rot.