Old 11-04-2017, 08:39 AM
Mickey2

You are smart enough to operate a new machine. Expect to play around with it for a few days, and give it a two week run in period. The features and functions you use regularly will come with ease. If you read reviews you will find lots of pros and cons, but a lot has to do with what type of machine you are used to and how willing you are to think a new thought. A major part of it is quality too. You have to pay a bit for the models that are worth it. Keep in mind that Bernina 930 is a modern machine, just not the latest technology.

What a new model can offer is 9 mm stitch width, lots buttonhole types, auto threader, auto cutter, built in dual feed, and to a degree mindless tension and freemotion. Some quilting and embroidery models have larger capacity bobbins. Some are very enthusiastic about speedbutton on the machine for hand operation and not just the footpedal option. A medium range model is less than your Bernina 930. You will find most of the modern features in vintage machines (I have yet to see auto thread cutter), just not all in one model. I don't find the touch screen display that much of an advantage, but for lots of fancy functions computerized is the only way.

If you don't what to experiment and spend that much money on something new, the vintage machines are all up to the the modern basic machines. I have a freearm model with zigzag and fancy stitches, my favorite is a flatbed cast iron straight stitcher (Singer 201). For overcast stitching and knifes the only thing that gives the multipe loops and stretchy stitches is a serger. Some keep separate cover stitcher. I get by with the single neelde overlock stitches on my freearm machine.

A new machine is fun and nice, with a brand new purchase comes lot of enthusiasm. Think of the functions you actaully use; and you are probably not missing something with what you have. I don't think there is such a thing as a one on all model, and you will probably find advantages in any model you take a liking to. I bought a Singer 201 a few years a go, I cleaned it and fixed it up; it's still my favorite machine to work on. All it does is straight stitches, I use the buttonholers and walking foot function in the swiss zigzagger. It's in a small table and it makes it a joy to work on. The new horn cabinets are too large for everyday storage, so I am very happy with it.

Last edited by Mickey2; 11-04-2017 at 08:56 AM.