Old 11-14-2017, 07:53 AM
bearisgray
Power Poster

My comparison of the Bernina 930 Record and the Pfaff 1475 CD - as of November 2017

Portability:

The Pfaff is much easier to move around. It weighs less, the attachment case goes ‘with’ the machine, the machine has an attached handle, and the cover just lifts off to access the machine. For taking to classes, sew-ins, wherever - I prefer the Pfaff.

The Bernina is cumbersome to get in and out of the carrying case. The attachment case is a separate box and not as compact as the Pfaff attachment box. It takes up a lot of space getting the machine out of the case and putting it back in the case. The case kind of flops out in both directions. It’s also much heavier than the Pfaff - so it should be put on something with wheels if one has to carry it any distance.

Stitches:

The Pfaff has more built -in patterns/designs, but I only use a few of them. It does give one more ‘control’ over the patterning than the Bernina. One repeat at a time - pattern start - pattern mirroring -

The Bernina has an awesome serpentine stitch - which the Pfaff does not have. It also has a very long basting type stitch which could be very useful in the fitting stage of garment making.

The Bernina can sew through at least 8 layers of heavy denim without complaining.

Neither one has an applique/buttonhole stitch. My main complaint about both machines.

I think they both sew ‘nicely’.

Free Motion:

It is easier to ‘set up’ the Bernina for free motion (in my case, mending) than the Pfaff. The presser foot is attached in the usual way and one just turns a knob to lower the feed dogs.
For the Pfaff, I need to get the instruction book out every time I attach the ‘darning foot’ and it is a little bit tricky to get it right.

Needle Positions:

The Pfaff has more needle positions than the Bernina.

Bobbins:

The two machines use different style bobbins. Neither one seems “picky” about the type of bobbin I use.

Thread:

I have a big supply of old-style Coats & Clark Dual Duty thread. Both machines handle it well.

Buttonholes:

I have not figured out how to make “perfect” buttonholes with either machine.

Miscellaneous:

I like the flat spot on top of the Pfaff to put extra bobbins or needles or a seam ripper or a thimble.
They both have thread cutters.
The Bernina - one has to hold the lever while backstitching - sometimes that is not convenient.
The Pfaff - push a button or choose a setting for backstitching. It ‘stays’ in backstitching mode until the setting is changed.

The IDT on the Pfaff is great for straight-line quilting.

Downside to both machines:

Parts may be difficult or impossible to find when the machine(s) die.
Neither has an applique/buttonhole stitch.

Summary

For portability - the Pfaff.

For the free motion and the serpentine stitch - the Bernina.