View Single Post
Old 11-30-2017, 07:41 AM
Sewnoma

IMO it's the bulb that's critical, not the lamp itself.

I bought LED bulbs from Amazon for my sewing room and put them into a bunch of regular old lamps (literally old, I love vintage brass lamps!) and my sewing room is really brightly lit now. My overhead lamp holds three bulbs, that really lights up the whole room! Then I have two more in old goosenecks that hover over my cutting area that I use as task lamps - I don't always need to turn those ones on, usually the overhead is enough unless it's really dark fabric or I'm working at night. But when I do...I can see every thread!

Look for LED bulbs with a "daylight" rating, and then you can put that bulb into whatever lamps you already have on hand.

The IKEA lamps are good, don't get me wrong - I have two of them at my main sewing machine. But they're spotlights/task lighting and for me that wasn't enough, I was still doing a lot of hunching and squinting.

I have tried three Ott lamps and gotten rid of all three of them. The lighting was good, but all three of them had a buzz that drove me nuts. I kept trying new lamps thinking I'd gotten a doozy, but all three (three different models) buzzed and had to go. My new LED's...I think the light is just as good if not better than from the Ott lamps, and I think my cool old vintage brass lamps are a lot better looking than the Ott lights. Ott lights look like hospital supply to me. (However it's probably worth mentioning that the people I gave those lamps to are all pleased with them and they say they don't hear the buzzing that I hear. So maybe I'm just crazy or have weird hearing!)