View Single Post
Old 12-04-2017, 07:05 PM
quiltingshorttimer

I retired 3.5 years ago and love it! My sewing room is never what I'd call "clean' like the magazines--but it's order and I usuallycan find things in it! Ditto where I LA. 2) I do put together large blocks of time to sew or quilt. I took a part time job teaching aquatic wellness classes at the local medical center in July and on those 3 days a week, my time is a smaller block--but yes--a nice block of time is possible. 3& 4) I do use my stash, but am glad that I didn't spend tons of money pre-retirement "stockpiling" fabrics--there's so many awesome fabrics coming out all the time that I see in great quilts and some of the stuff I bought seems rather blah now. But I do have time to work on more scrappy quilts now. 5)no--the stack of mags is just that, a stack! I go through my magazines and books yearly before the guild 'garage' sale and cull them--I have a rule that unless there are 3 projects in a magazine that I definitely want to make--it's gone. It's amazing how from year to year that means a magazine will go! 6)I am Heavily involved in my local guild--teaching beginner classes, an officer, etc. We do monthly classes or sew-ins and I'm all in! I also take classes at major quilt shows and also through my machine quilters guild (I belong to 2 guilds).
Good luck with your retirement and I hope you love it too! Best advice--don't commit to any 'jobs" for at least 6-9 months--you will be shocked how many organizations, people, etc approach you with "now that you retired...."!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-07-2018 at 02:05 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps