Thread: Newfound Hobby
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2017, 04:58 PM
Scout973

Lightbulb Newfound Hobby

I have only sewn one thing in my life, a felt star for the top of my Christmas tree this year. In the last two months I have come to appreciate vintage Singer sewing machines and discovered that working on them is a relaxing past-time for me. It started two months ago when my MIL and FIL that live with us brought home a stray 201-2 abandoned and out with someone's garbage. Initially, I didn't like this old machine in a beat up case that found itself in my garage. I thought my FIL was crazy for playing around with the machine. Then, as I helped him, I fell in love with how well it was made and its elegance. I knew I had to have one, so after some research, I bought a $15 Singer 15-91 in nice shape once the chrome was polished up, but the cabinet is in bad shape. I cleaned it and got it running and it made some beautiful stitches. I also began glutting the local market and after being able to identify machines better, I bought 3 more 201-2s. One as used as a part machine to get my MIL's machine and the other two running beautifully. I kept the nicest one in a nice cabinet. I gave the other one to my MIL to keep at one of her residences. The problem was that I got hooked, though. I paid a total of $45 for the three 201-2s that I had gotten. So, I wound up with my very own 201-2s and a 15-91. I was in potted motor heaven! But I was not done. Over the last month, I have gotten a mint Singer 404 and 403A in nice condition (and with all the feet and discs). I also got a beautiful black Singer 301A. Mostly due to limited space and my wife not appreciating the finer art of Sewing machine obsession, and because a family member was in need, I gave up the 15-91. So now I have a 403A and a 404, a 301A and a 201-2. My favorite is probably the black 301A, but I love the 404. I paid a total of $120 for those 4 machines and have put about $50 into them Now I want to clean them up and find nice cabinets for them. I almost got a $40 Featherweight but it was gone before I could go and pick it up. I guess I wouldn't mind one, but I think I would favor another 301A rather than it. Mine reminds me of a locomotive. I could have gotten a 401 over the 403 but I liked the looks of and the ultimate simplicity of the 403 over the 401. To round out my collection I would like to lastly get a 500 or 503 Rocketeer. I'm in no hurry. I would like to do more work cleaning them and restoring them. The 404 and the 201 have been used by my MIL and have worked flawlessly. The tension seems to be a little off on the 301A and I haven't tried the 403 until I clean it a little better. It is freed up and the motor does work though. I would also like to get better cabinets for them. Eventually, I would like to put the 201 in my living room and keep the 301 downstairs in my family room, and with its ability to be removed from the cabinet. Not sure what do with the 400s, but looking forward to the varied stitches the 403 can make. I am hoping that my MIL teaches my 9 year old how to sew. I guess I would be interested in using the 201 or the 403 with its double needle ability to help me make a couple of bushcraft-type backpacks. And, I have the option of getting another 15-91(a centennial-marked one) for $20 to replace one I gave away. I miss the one I let go,but how can i break away from this obsession? Anyway, I am looking for some coconspirators as my wife is not on board.