Old 12-28-2017, 03:56 PM
Mrs. D

Default Repainting of my mid century J C Penney Model 902 Sewing Machine

[ATTACH=CONFIG]586150[/ATTACH]
You too can repaint an old sewing machine!

I decided to repaint my panty hose brown mid century J C Penney Model 902 Sewing Machine a lovely pink and black. T

Please note, a hand crank doesn't work well on this machine--but it was a fun camera pose! Later, I put the black motor back on the machine, along with its original chrome and black hand wheel.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]586152[/ATTACH]
I carefully removed all the parts I could, and photographed each piece from its location as it was removed.

Some parts were best taped and left alone. I stuffed and taped newspaper into all the cavities. I was able to successfully remove the top lid, but not the front end door because of its permanent hinges (shown here taped up in blue painter's tape).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]586154[/ATTACH]
I did my painting on a comfortable sunny afternoon.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]586155[/ATTACH]
I didn't rush my project. First coat, then waited a couple days.

Third day I did some light sanding (800 grit), and DH did a second coat of pink for me.

After a second quick sanding and wipe down, I sprayed the machine with two clear coats.

A day later, I removed all the tape and paper stuffing.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]586156[/ATTACH]
Covering the now pink machine securely, I sprayed the front end door gloss black and also the top lid. For the gloss black--I followed same sequence with spraying paint, allow drying time, sanding, wiping down, and clear coat.

It isn't a special paint really, just a good quality spray paint in a can suitable for wood, metal, etc.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]586158[/ATTACH]
Replacing all the bits was time consuming, but the initial deconstruction photos paved the way to put it all back together again.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]586150[/ATTACH]
How did it turn out? Excellent. If you have a couple hours each day for a week--you can do this too.

What's next? I have half a dozen black Singer 15-91s with bad decals. Now don't cringe, but I'm going to sand them down to the quick, and paint them some fantasy colors. I bought a can of purple, metal flake teal, copper and fuscia (sp?). Don't be afraid to try painting an old machine . . . you can do this . . . and turn an old panty hose brown toad into a prince (or princess).

I am a collector/restorer of vintage and antique sewing machines. I will be sharing pictures and histories of some of the machines in my collection. I belong to a group of restorers, and all of us have some old hand crank machines in our collections. We decided to name our group, "The Cranky People". Ha. Ha. We have a good time meeting every other month; a afternoon of working on our old machines, sharing information and learning. For me, sewing and restoring machines is the best part of being retired.

[SUB][/SUB]
Attached Thumbnails penneys-6-small.jpg   pink-penneys-2-small.jpg   pink-penneys-4-small.jpg   pink-penneys-3-small.jpg   pink-penneys-5-small.jpg  

pink-penneys-1-small.jpg