Old 12-29-2017, 04:33 AM
Mrs. D

Answering Cari's question: I did a fair amount of hand sanding the body with high grit paper to de-gloss the finish. But first, I did all the reference photographing/removing parts to store in a bag.

For me, it wasn't a goal of removing the existing paint as there was no cosmetic damage to smooth away. Like any wood or metal surface around the house you want to paint to refresh, or give it a new color--it is important to sand and clean to prepare the surface.

Note: I did not spray inside or underneath the sewing machine, and was careful to cover even the smallest screw holes with pointy tooth picks to keep the mechanisms safe during the spray process.

I am a sewing enthusiast, been sewing for more than 50 years. My sewing machine collection grew rapidly after I retired and now numbers 53 machines. The oldest machine is 1876 Domestic treadle in its original cabinet--that would be the same year as Custer's Last Stand.

Then there is the 1880 Remington treadle in a walnut cabinet found in our 125 year old barn. Once restored we noticed a child's scribbling inside one of the drawers--"Gusta was sick today". We recognized the name right away and understand it belonged to the previous owner of our Victorian house. Now, this lovely machine with hand-painted decals sits in our dining room in front of a window--where Maren Q may have sewn lots of garments for her children Ragnhild, Augusta, Bessie, and Peter. I try to justify in my mind why I would have so many machines. My answer is the same as yours. Collecting is addicting. Each one has its own story--lovingly restored, and fun to sew.

Thank you for allowing me to rattle on about old machines. I am an old timer too.

The Pink JC Penney's Model 902 is the only machine I've repainted--I did it just for fun. I wanted a pretty little pink and black machine from the 1950s to play with. I hope you'll find a little gem to paint your fantasy color. Please share photos of your repaint project!