Thread: Why shops close
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2018, 04:15 AM
Sandygirl

Default Why shops close

Just musings from personal observation and postings from shops in my area over the last few years.

shop owners are retiring. Owning a shop IS a business, a carreer, a dream that has run its course. We have all been there. We all will want to retire if we have not done so already.

Some have lost their spouse...life changing, esp if the spouse was active in the business.

Shop owners are Tired. After many years in business, they are burned out, tired, lost interest, ready for a change.

The need to care for elder parents, relatives, perhaps wanting to spend time with the family, with the grands. Life. Happens.

Some shops closed after a long time in business because the landlord has jacked up the price or the rental fee and the shop owner is being pushed out of the space in favor of a tenant willing to pay the revised monthly rent. Some of these situations have given the tired shop owner the opportunity to gracefully move on vs starting over in a new location.

I once frequented a shop with multiple partners who thought it would be fun to open a store. They shut down after a few years and the reason? They admitted to have not realized how time consuming and difficult it was to own, run and market a quilt shop. Yes, it is a retail business. I admired them for admitting to the reality. A couple of the husbands were retired already and wanted their wives to join them. Again...life!

My first job/career was in retail....retail management. I loved it but I got burned out after 13 years. Open Sunday hours did me in.

Businesses come and go. Celebrate their successes.

sandy

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-02-2018 at 07:21 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps