Thread: Why shops close
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2018, 10:26 AM
Chytayzie

Years ago, everyone bemoaned how Walmart was closing Mom & Pops. We had several fabric stores close here after Walmart started selling fabric. Then, Walmart closed their fabric department. We were left with just mail order or driving to Memphis or Jackson, about 2 hours to get material.

I worked my way thru college cutting for my aunt who owned a Hancock's. She saw the writing on the wall when Walmart opened in her home town back in the early 80's and sold her store. The poor woman that bought it was out of business about 2 years later. She couldn't even pay the rent because sales had gotten so bad.

Walmart did reopen their fabric dept here last year, so I can get some things, but I've gotten accustomed to buying online. It appears karma can and does bite. Walmart fabric will soon be closed due to them not being able to compete with online. Couldn't happen to a nicer company.

I do miss being able to feel and compare the different bolts of material. There's no way to duplicate that online.