View Single Post
Old 01-04-2018, 09:00 AM
Innov8R

I started at 7. I bought a treadle machine from the thrift store next to the beauty shop where my mom was getting her hair done. I paid less than $10 because I dumped all my money on the counter and the lady took what I had instead of keeping up her higher price. My dad had a fit. He was sure I would get hurt. I did. I ran a needle through my index finger and once that healed, I was off to the races. By age 10 I was making all my own clothes and never stopped. Sewing gave me something uniquely my own. None of my friends sewed. I could make exactly what I wanted the way I wanted. By the time I got to high school, I was known for my peculiar talent and even won awards for it. I would hope that any parent or grand parent of a youngster drawn to sewing would encourage him or her. Not only is the skill useful throughout one's life, but mastery involves patience, reading, following directions, creativity and common sense--all seem to be exercises that could greatly enhance a child's sense of self and confidence.