Old 01-13-2018, 10:05 AM
asabrinao

Default Instead of binding--turning in the raw edges?

I recently found a book on French quiltmaking at a used bookstore. The book, which is not particularly old (copyright 1996), is mostly historical and informational. However, there are three projects at the end of the book to give one an opportunity to try classic styles from Provence. I found it so interesting that none of the three projects end with a binding. Instead, the directions say to "turn in the raw edges by 1/2" and finish with a line of running stitches just at the edge of the folds."

Why have I not heard of finishing quilts in this way before?

The three projects vary in size--(68" x 61"; 19" x 18"; and 91" square) and all are meant to be used and laundered.

Bindings are my least favorite part of the quilting process, so this alternative intrigues me. I plan on trying this out with a small sample, just to see how it looks and launders. But, I'm wondering if there are any folks out there who do this regularly. Do you like the way it looks? Does it hold up well? I'd never heard of finishing the edges of a quilt this way and I'm wondering if I've found a way around doing those pesky bindings.

The book, by the way, is called Quilts of Provence: The Art and Craft of French Quiltmaking by Kathryn Berenson. It's a lovely introduction to French quilts--lots of historical information and great pictures.