View Single Post
Old 02-03-2018, 04:01 PM
caspharm

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
I think you have to have an adventurous spirit to do a mystery. A big part of the fun is not knowing what it will look like. I've participated in two mysteries. The first one was years ago on the About.com quilting forum. I made two quilts at the same time in different colorways. I hated them both, not because of the pattern but because of my fabric choices. I was a new quilter then and had a lot to learn.
My second mystery was a few years ago it was Bonnie Hunters' Orca Bay. Now that one was so much fun but lots and lots of pieces and repetition. I still haven't put the borders on the quilt and it has 3,672 pieces. Bonnie loves her scrappies lol.

Cari
I agree that you have to be somewhat willing to go out of your comfort zone. I like mystery quilts, because it can be a challenge. I have done several with my LQS, I have finished a few, which I liked (I select my own fabrics) and a few are UFOs, mainly because I have fallen behind for whatever reason life interfered (LOL).

That said, I have also run one for my quilt club last year and it was pretty popular. I am about to start another one this year. I do try to find ones that fall in between adventurous beginner and intermediate, so that most people will try it.