View Single Post
Old 02-23-2018, 03:22 PM
roguequilter

i am doing a repro too. using pic from one of my books on historical american quilts. the particular quilt i am copying is dated 1825-45. i too am researching using brachmans site in fabric prints plus other sites on web with focus on quilts from 1800's. no where do i read about the batt used. i do know that it was not uncommon in southern states to not use any batt at all because of summer heat. i also notice in the pics on line and in my books that crinkle isn't there. i don't know if it's because the quilts had never been washed or used, tho some are noted to appear in new condition w/o wear or fading. but i would assume that carded wool was the batt of preference when used. i am also copying the quilting motif used on original quilt and others up thru civil war. very simple, some w simple feathers, most tho seemed to use outline quilting with a pumkin seed style motif in setting blocks. i'm making my blocks 7" ..reduced from the size given for quilt i am making, which appear to be 12". it too was for a four poster bed. style unique to eastern quilts. they also usually only did knife edge finish, which makes me happy because i like it better than binding. i had also considered a wrap around binding using the backing which was a common way of finishing quilts in pennsylvania in 1800's. i like and have used that style of finish, and it rally looks nice. but, like you, i'm trying to stay true to the style of quilt i am copying ..so knife edge it will be