View Single Post
Old 02-25-2018, 12:36 PM
Rose_P

I've only recently started keeping some. We have 3 quilts that I made for us, plus a lot of smaller items like table runners, placemats, sewing machine covers, a quilted window cover in the laundry room and probably others I can't think of at the moment. We have 3 adult children and a couple of grands, and I've given them quilts, as well as given some to other relatives and friends for weddings, new babies, illness or whatever. I used to make or help make quite a few charity quilts when I belonged to a guild before our move, and still occasionally donate something to Project Linus.

For me the hobby is more about the doing than the having, and I get a kick out of seeing one of my quilts in use in someone's home. I've also started to keep lap-size quilts on hand for just-in-case situations that come up more often as we age. The first one like that was a simple jelly roll race quilt in blues and browns, and I happened to finish it shortly before one of my brothers was suddenly hospitalized with a serious illness. I grabbed that as I was rushing out the door to see him, and I was glad I did because that rather elongated shape happens to be a perfect size for a hospital bed and he seemed so delighted with it. Also, you wouldn't want to give a very special quilt to someone in a hospital or care facility, but if a jrr quilt was stolen, I would figure someone needed it more than we did, and I could make him a better one for home.