Thread: UFO's
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2018, 10:32 AM
cashs_mom

Originally Posted by charmednmissouri View Post
When I began quilting 3 years ago, I wanted to practice, using real patterns, like most of us would. I found this cute pattern that I thought I could easily do. And I could now, LOL! But upon going thru my UFO's, I found these blocks, all 16" in size, using lovely fabrics. My sewing was terrible at that time. Seams do not match, half of the blocks are as much as 1/2" larger than the other the other half of the blocks. What should I do with them? Should I get out the seam ripper and do them correctly? Should I cut them into 4 peices and try to make a "disappering block"? If you encountered this, what would you do? I would hate to throw them out, and the idea of using my seam ripper to rip up all this block just goes against everything in me, LOL! The disappering blocks could be an option, but I would have to chop one up to see how it looked. Has anyone else discovered this situation? What did you do? Or, if you were in my shoes, what do you think I should do? I know this sounds like a silly problem, but I truely am stumped as to what is the best solution. Any ideas would be appriciated!
I recently went thru this with some blocks that I had paper pieced about 10+ years ago. They were awful! I hadn't squared them as I went. A lot were different sizes and they weren't the same. Since I had almost all the blocks made and some border and backing fabric, I decided to just fix them as best I could and make a nice quilt for the dogs and me to use on the couch at night. I had enough batting scraps so that I could piece them together and make a large enough batt. I call it "Wonky Dogs" due to the fact that they are pretty wonky. I use it most every night now.