Old 03-12-2018, 01:35 PM
quiltingcandy

My daughter took a home-ec class from a lady that taught them to make fried rice with hamburger. It sounded dreadful to me so I avoided it for a long time - but I came home one evening and she was making pt and I loved it.
She first stir-fried the hamburger and added the shredded carrots, celery, and onions - she preferred the little green onions and when she thought that was cooked thru and added the bean sprouts and then added the rice. (She was told it was better if the cooked rice was a day or two old.) Stir it up with a little bit of water for steam and add soy sauce to taste. She used lean hamburger so didn't need to add any oil and it worked to stir fry the other items. We usually throw in frozen corn and peas too. Actually I add broccoli, baby limas, and cabbage if I have them - it's one of those catch all dishes. My mom would call stew her refrigerator cleaning - any left over bits of vegetables were thrown in.

We used chicken - if from raw we cook it first - if we make it from cooked chicken then we add a bit of peanut oil and cook the vegetables first. With shrimp since it doesn't take long to cook then then vegetables are first.

I also used my wok to fry french fries and egg rolls - it takes a lot less oil than a standard pot.