Old 03-29-2018, 06:35 AM
Barb in Louisiana

I have seen fantastic quilts made with finished one inch squares. Will I ever make one? Noooo! My attention span doesn't last that long. But, if you want to...a couple of suggestions. Cut enough 1 1/2 inch squares to make up for at least a potholder or mug rug. Use your single needle plate so your fabric doesn't get eaten and just start sewing. Chain piecing will make it easier. I would do a scant seam and even though it would be extra work, I would probably think about ironing all the seams open. The whole project may lay flatter. If you still want to keep going after you sew the size of the mug rug, then go for it. If you've had enough, then you have at least a project that can be finished.

Edited to add: I cannot do an all scrappy quilt. I must have order, so if I were doing this, I would figure out 1 fabric to be a constant in what would be the center of your squares or on a diagonal in each block. Or use a focus fabric as maybe a 6 or 8" or whatever size you want and make that every other block. That way you will be able to see an end to the project. I am thinking about doing something similar but with 2 inch finished blocks for one of my granddaughters.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-29-2018 at 07:34 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps