View Single Post
Old 04-01-2018, 06:31 PM
Rose_P

Originally Posted by Quilterman
I have a Singer 223 which looks real close to this but doesn't use cams. About the same color and shape but just
zigzag and straight stitch.
That is very interesting. I wasn't familiar with it, but googled and found this demo of the 223: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hP5lMP4kKw Near the end she says the head was made in Japan in a Singer factory. I knew about the clones, but not about a Singer factory there. She also says the motor was made in Canada. It does indeed look a lot like my 238, except it has a light, which mine does not, and my pressure control knob is on the face plate. The "dashboard" on the 233 seems to be molded into the metal body, whereas on the 238 it's plastic attached to the front. She seems to have one more thread guide just above the needle, and I can't see where my machine ever had one there, but it's making good stitches without it, so I'm not worried.

I thought it was amusing that the first thing she tells us about the machine is about how very heavy it is. When you're used to machines of similar size and age that have aluminum bodies, this one stuns you, especially in the white color, which I associate with lighter machines, too.