View Single Post
Old 04-20-2018, 05:09 PM
maryb119

I love this thread!!

My grandson stayed with me before school so his mom could go to work. I took him to school in my DH 79 Cutlass. It is his 'baby' and grandson had been asking for a ride in it. He wanted the window down. It has a hand crank so I told him to use it. He reached over with one finger and pushed the knob like a button....'It doesn't work, Grandma!" The kid was only 7 and I realized he has had push buttons to put car windows down his whole life! Too funny!

My daughters and I were going thru my mom's house and cleaning out everything so we could sell it. The girls brought downstairs a manual typewriter. I had gone to the store next door for a pizza for lunch. When I came back, 2 of my grandsons, aged 15 and 20, were sitting on the floor trying to figure out what it was. One said..'there is no place to plug it in.' They other said the keyboard is the same as a computer but it isn't a computer. Grandma to the rescue! I put in a piece of paper and started typing. I told them to listen for the bell. They both told me 'the bell rang! Now what?' I reached up and slowly pushed the lever to turn the paper to the next line and move the carriage over to start it. They thought that was the coolest thing they had ever seen. The 20 year old asked what that ribbon was for so I told him that was the ink for the keys to strike and make a letter on the paper. He asked what happens if it runs out. I told him you get a replacement one. He used his smart phone and Googled where to buy one. Old school meets technology!!
I was laughing so hard, I didn't even try to explain a party line to them!