View Single Post
Old 05-18-2018, 02:42 PM
JulieB

Default My Promise Quilt

We are moving and I wanted to make some decorations for our new home. As I started to work on my first wall hanging, I quickly realized I hadn't paid close enough attention to the finished size. It was larger than I expected (about 61" square). No problem, the walls in the new house are high and there is a lot of room to fill. Bigger is actually better. I'm the type of person who doesn't like to work entirely according to someone else's plan. I enjoy taking patterns and using my own colors, quilting styles, accents, etc. The pattern for the background (the heart) was the pattern I started with, but I totally revamped it. Originally it had a white background with colored strips forming a simple heart-shaped rainbow. I'm more of an Americana lady myself. So I went to another book and borrowed their flower applique patterns and created my own piece. I hand appliqued all the flowers, etc., onto the background. My sister suggested I have a word or a verse in the void in the upper right corner, and after some contemplation, I found something that was very meaningful to me. I did use machine quilting for the letters. Phew! As I progressed, the quilting motifs came naturally, (a version of the feather interspersed with leaves and flowers) and the idea of accenting with beads along the stems felt appropriate as well. I machine quilt free-style on a Bernina 820 so excuse the goofs. Then I tried a brand new technique and made a flanged binding. I love it! I will be doing that again. It's a little extra work but I love the effect! As you can see, I'm totally in love with this quilt, and am very excited to hang it in its new home. Thanks for looking!
Attached Thumbnails img_1286.jpg   img_1288.jpg   img_1289.jpg