View Single Post
Old 05-26-2018, 06:48 AM
ibex94

Originally Posted by PamelaOry View Post

What size would be ideal for companion fabric(s)? I’m starting on getting my bags together and have plenty of coordinating fabric to work with.

Simple blocks are acceptable right?

Im also wondering how much of a difference a scant vs regular 1/4 inch seam makes? I use my piecing foot already but was going to try moving the needle over 1 (once I figure out how to do it) and see if that helps.
Hi and great to meet you! You do know that you don't have to send companion fabrics, right? The only reason to send them is if you want ONLY those fabrics in your quilt.

Since you can't predict which patterns we are going to be using, I would send a full fat eighth of the companion fabric. And you can ask for the extra to be returned.

An investment that I made that I absolutely love is a 12.5" x 12.5" acrylic ruler. It keeps me on track throughout the sewing process and makes for an easy trim down after the block is wrapped up. I am getting better with my seams and blocks each time I try to make a block.

I encourage you not to reposition your needle. That may give you heartache down the road. GramE's method is a good one!

With regards to classic patterns, I love, LOVE, making the churn dash block. The Rail fence pattern is a great one to practice those scant 1/4" seams, too.

And ask lots of questions if you're worried about anything. This gang is a fun and supportive one. Welcome!!