View Single Post
Old 07-09-2018, 02:48 PM
ninab

nope, not using up 40wt, Every time I turn the machine on, I re-measure the seam allowance. Just because I'd never paper pieced before, I measured the "2 inch" gauge on the paper after printing - spot on @ 2". However, reading Paper Princess' & Peckish's comments: I always thought the 1/4" seam meant 1/4" from the stitching to the edge... argh!

Well, I measured the blocks. They should be 2" (2.5" - .25 per seam *2). Nope. They are 1 and 15/16ths of an inch... not TWO inches. This is driving me insane! LOL But, I'll accept this and continue on w/the Pineapples. LOL
I'll probably crank out some mug rugs and see if moving my needle one click to the left would make the difference - if so, I'll know fo' sho' when I start my next project. LOL

Rhonda K -The machine I'm using for piecing is a Brother CXLA155 - a 199.00 Laura Ashley edition. It's been pretty solid for such an inexpensive machine - but I have noticed the presser foot is a bit "wiggly" when the foot is lifted. The screw where it joins the shank is tight as can be, that part doesn't 'wiggle' - just the foot wiggles - not much, just enough to notice you can wiggle it (if that makes any sense...). I wonder if that wiggle might be my culprit? I bought a nice set of universal feet (28 in a box) when I got my machine. I have duplicates of every foot that came with the machine. When I do a mug rug, i'll try that other foot (the no-name brand foot) - and keep the settings the same/measure, blah blah blah - and if it solves the problem I'll let y'all know. Never even considered the foot being a possible issue... The other issue I have, is if that needle is set to center, to sew a proper 1/4" seam (or what I measure as 1/4") - my fabric edge would be under the foot, not at the edge.

Thank you, Busy Fingers, for the encouragement to move forward. I've made one quilt and a lap quilt, so this is my third-ish, and I couldn't see why the shortage would hurt anything, as long as I were consistent. I appreciate the confirmation from someone experienced!

Now my question - is a 1/4" seam allowance from the edge of the stitching to the fabric edge, OR, is it from the stitching to the edge of the fabric?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]597575[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails measure.png  

Last edited by ninab; 07-09-2018 at 02:50 PM.