View Single Post
Old 07-11-2018, 07:07 PM
zozee

Default Vacuum Cleaner Brand Opinions

I clean my dad's house weekly. It's fairly large, with carpet, hardwood, and area rugs to care for. The area rug in the living room drives me nuts with its fringed edges. Grrr. If I get the least bit too close to them, the threads snarl up the beater brush. If I don't get close enough, dust and dirt remain so that I have to use a handheld vacuum on the fringes.

He has carpeted stairs, a huge carpeted loft area, and 3 carpeted bedrooms.

No pets (except when my sister from out of state visits with her dogs).

His current vacuum (Hoover Windtunnel) gave up the ghost and I need to buy him a new one. He's not opposed to spending up to $500, but I have a hard time with that price. He says it's up to me since I'm the one who has to use the thing. He doesn't vacuum. (He didn't even know where it was stored!)

So, who here can recommend their vacuum cleaner or tell me what to steer clear of.

I prefer something with a swivel head, not too heavy (15 pounds tops), good cleaning , probably a bagged model, one that transitions easily from carpet to bare floors, and isn't terribly noisy. I've been comparing many online and went to two places today (a Sew-Vac place where I was shown the Sebo Dart and others, but liked the Dart best). I was comparing it to the Shark Rotator Lift-Away. Biggest difference is price and bag vs bagless.

Not Dyson--the new ones are terrible. The old ones (which I had) were great.

Chime in and help a girl out. My dad isn't a cheapo; he appreciates quality, but I don't want to spend his money any differently than I'd spend my own.