View Single Post
Old 07-22-2018, 12:03 PM
Kate Q

Default delicate fabrics?

Hey all, as I posted over in my intro I'm from KY but my hubby (of nearly 24 yrs!) is originally from India. His mother passed away suddenly last year, his sisters were wanting to give away most of her clothes but she had some amazing pieces that I requested to keep. My family tradition is to make quilts out of old clothes, not just to re-use but also as a remembrance. I'd like to do something similar, she had some things with lovely embroidery (some probably hand-worked), but as you may imagine the fabrics are all over the place.

I asked a quilting enthusiast club in the nearest big city (Dubai), the woman I spoke with suggested it might be possible to use these fabrics if I fused them to some kind of interfacing? Well I'm back home in KY for a visit; I headed over this morning to JoAnn's to see what was available and there are shelves of what looked to me to be fusible backing fabric of all different kinds... I was totally lost!

So I'm looking for advice.. is this a project even to take on, or should I try to come up with something else to do with these?

Here are a couple of pics of what I was able to save:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]598218[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]598219[/ATTACH]

So, different kinds of fabrics, different weights, and only one or two seem to be cotton of the type that I typically associate with quilting.

I think for a design I have decided on something simpler, like this Indian quilt:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]598220[/ATTACH]

Any thoughts, ideas or advice would be fantastic.. I'm here in the US until mid-August, better if I get any materials while I'm here than try to find them there, or worse have them shipped and pay a bazillion dollars in delivery fees. lol

Thanks in advance for any help!

Kate
Attached Thumbnails img_1389.jpg   fabrics-1.jpg   fabrics-2.jpg   img_1388-2-.jpg