Old 07-27-2018, 08:23 AM
elnan

Originally Posted by LadyAg
Hello everyone!

I am recently retired, but brand new to quilting. As I looked at easy first quilt patterns, I saw that they come in all different shapes and sizes, not just the traditional measurements for a bed!

That rather obvious observation got me thinking about what experienced quilters actually do with their finished quilts, so I thought I would try and get your comments:

Do you usually try to make your quilt for a bed (functional use)? For wall art? For competition? For charity?
You mean they are supposed to be finished? I have more UFOs than finished. Most of my quilting is in conjunction with members of a small group that I sew with. In the past, I sewed with a larger group of quilters that makes a raffle quilt each year. It galls me to be handed something to rip out or try to square up when the previous seamstress stretched it all out of proportion as she sewed or used such a tiny stitch that it is ruffled, then have to listen to that "expert" spout off about mistakes of others.
One day I am hemming flannel baby blankets, the next making baby gowns, the next working on a binding for a quilt sewn by another member. The people we sew for are all appreciative and feel blessed to get what we give. I am slower than a tortoise, but accurate. I have been blessed by the friendships this quilting has brought me. If it makes me happy and the faces of the recepients light up when they hug the quilts to their hearts, I feel my labors have been rewarded.
I have helped out with quilt judging at the county fair, enough to make me decide to not enter my work.

Instead of quilts, my family members are happy with their custom made pillowcases.

If you are trying to decide where to direct your energies, do what makes you happy.