View Single Post
Old 08-19-2018, 12:22 PM
QuiltingNinaSue

What has been said by those who made or attempted to make the Farmer's Wife books are true. I have finished three and working on my Bible Sampler which is the fourth book. The other three are displayed in my Great Room ( dining and living room combined). The disk that comes with the book has template designs and paper piecing templates.

I was given good hints on the first book and followed the same process on the other books. I found a 4" notebook (Wal Mart supplies were reasonably priced) and clear view paper holders for the notebook. Into each paper holder went a picture of the block, the templates for cutting out fabric, and the pp templates. By doing twenty or so at a time, it was not burdensome to do. All of the cutting out templates, I used cement rubber glue and glued them onto stiff cardboard, cut them out, put small holes where the corner of the seam allowance was and put them back into the plastic holder. They were a good 'guide' for the pp too, not wasting fabric. Every block I finished, went into the plastic holder again, until I was ready to set the quilt together. I did use a permanent pen to note the # of the block and name, because I knew I would never remember the block name. After the second book, I pp less of the blocks, but find I am doing more on the fourth book. I am still marveling how Laura A. Hird can divide a finished 6"
(and 8 ") into so many pieces.

The first book Farmer's Wife Sample Quilt was developed to go into EQ7; that helped a great deal. Again, with EQ7, you could change the size the blocks were easily. The Block of the Month people on QB were very encouraging and I had fun with them during all three 'trails' of the first three books. With the fourth book, Bible Sampler, I am prodding along at a slow pace. Not doing the two blocks a week that we did on the first three books. On the fourth book, I have looked at the chart she suggests to set them together and used it as a guide, putting each block together as I go, seeing the colors of each block in its own permanent setting. And when I finish, the top will be done. All sewn together, finished!