Old 08-21-2018, 10:34 AM
TeresaA

Default Bought Donna Lynn Thomas' On Point Ruler. Questions

Hi,

I ordered Donna Lynn Thomas' On Point ruler after the Generations Quilt site convined me that I should, LOL. (No Affil!)

The benefit of this ruler is that it allows making on-point pieces where the diagonal on the piece is an even size. Ordinarily if you make a 2" (finished) half square triangle, say, the diagonal measurement would be 2*sqrt(2) (=2.8). This makes it difficult to rotary cut blocks that contain on-point components and have them be a standard size, like 12" finished block. You have to round your numbers to fit the rotary ruler and it's just a little messy. You might end up with something that is a little over 12", and say if you want to match it with other 12 inch components, it makes things hard.

So with this ruler, you make cuts where you only care about the diagonal measurement and it sort of calculates what the horizontal/vertical measurements need to be to make that diagonal.

As money was burning a hole in my pocket, and I needed retail therapy to boost my inspiration, I thought this might be a good tool to have. I like making my own block patterns from old books and figured that having it might minimize the amount of drafting/template creation I'd need to do.

Does anyone else have this tool and think it's awesome? boring? a gimmick? good or bad to have? What uses have you made for it? Thanks for any info.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-21-2018 at 11:03 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps