View Single Post
Old 08-27-2018, 01:44 AM
117becca

First - enjoy the journey and have fun. As far as supplies, everyone has their favs. I read what TeresaA above stated and I do nothing like her LOL!!! Well - i do use between needles, but that is about it.

Part of the journey will be figuring out what works for you.

i use a floor frame and the quilt sandwich is loose enough so that i can rock the needle back and forth. Think of dropping a 10 lb cat on the sandwich. Some people like to use a large hoop, a small hoop, or no hoop at all. I like a floor frame because my hand is free to be underneath the sandwich to help move the needle back to the top.

Needles - i like Jenna Kimball betweens. the shank is a bit thicker/heavier and i don't bend it as easily as others. I do have order online, but I get them from the same place that i get the YLI thread - Rose Rushbrooke.

Thimbles - I started w/ a leather thimble, went to a coin thimble (has a metal dimpled piece that sits on the pad of the finger). I needed to feel the needle and a metal one doesn't let me do that. Pay attention to how you push your needle. Do you push the needle w/ the top of the finger, or w/ the pad of the finger? That will be a clue as to what kind of a thimble you will want. Currently, I use a Dritz comfort thimble that i buy at Joann's. It has deep dimples to hold the needle and allows me to push w/ the pad of my finger.

Batting - try lots of them. I like the cotton battings because of the bit of resistance that it gives so that i can reposition the needle if needed.

Thread - I use YLI - it's the cheapest out there - $8 for 1000 yds. It's a glazed cotton. Do the math when buying
thread.

Enjoy your adventure and just go. As you get the hang of things, just shoot for even stitches - and they may not be there in the beginning, but you'll get there.