View Single Post
Old 10-02-2018, 08:30 AM
Iceblossom

Non-quilters/crafters have no idea how much stuff costs. If you are willing to do the work I'd give her links to the fabric and how much of each she should buy.

My most recent bout of this sort of thing happened last summer, hubby had posted some pictures of my quilts and his half-brother asked if I would make him one like one of the pictures. Now, typically I don't make duplicate quilts (except for children's corner/donation quilts that are very similar) and I didn't have room on my schedule for one for him, so I thought I'd make a very generous (to me!) offer that I would give him the quilt he liked that I made for myself in return for the cost of the fabric. Some of the fabrics were on sale and as we know and the non-sewers don't, there are no guarantees that they will be out again the next year so I went ahead and bought them. Informed him that it would be $100 and I was informed that was just too much... Oh well, when/if I'm ready to remake that quilt I have the fabric on hand.

Edit/PS: I don't do quilts on commission because I don't want to do what other people want on their timeline (maybe selfish but at least I know myself). I make them to give away because as I say, I don't work for that cheap but I give freely. Since I have to put some value of my time, I use $15 an hour. I think in my area I can easily sell my quilts for $350-500+, but "my" cost is more like $650-1000 once you figure in the cost of materials and the cost of my time.

Last edited by Iceblossom; 10-02-2018 at 08:39 AM.