View Single Post
Old 10-13-2018, 11:31 AM
Iceblossom

I prefer a thicker acrylic batt most of the time and I have double batted before, now I'm better about knowing what I want and what I buy so haven't done it for awhile. Then again, I've been out of Alaska for a few decades as well and am not making quilts for houses with no central heating any more either! There are times when I want the look and feel (and weight) of warm & natural type batts, but mostly I really prefer those fluffy acrylic batts.

In my opinion with the thicker/double batts you don't really get good results with a lot of quilting. You want more of a comforter level of quilting, 3-4" maybe down to 1" channels but nothing really smaller than that or you get basically a stiff mattress pad. Tying down or using buttons can be very effective with a super thick batt.

I have put in extra batting before more recently, basically stuffing large applique pieces within my blocks and then quilting down the whole thing (typically not quilting in the stuffed pieces) with a single batt. That's worked just fine in both working with the fabric, washing, and the use of the quilts.

In one of my recent thrift store finds, the original piecer had put together the top with a double thickness of rather thick batting. It was, in my opinion, way too thick and would not have made a good baby blanket, single thickness would have been fine. They gave up on the project because the flannel they used for the back was really too narrow and unfortunately an inch or so short... but I got enough batting for two crib sized quilts and the top (I made a different back and will long arm it down), and one of the ladies in my small group took the flannel backing. So that's a lot of projects out of a $1.99 purchase.