View Single Post
Old 10-13-2018, 01:17 PM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
I prefer a thicker acrylic batt most of the time and I have double batted before, now I'm better about knowing what I want and what I buy so haven't done it for awhile. Then again, I've been out of Alaska for a few decades as well and am not making quilts for houses with no central heating any more either! There are times when I want the look and feel (and weight) of warm & natural type batts, but mostly I really prefer those fluffy acrylic batts.
I have never heard of acrylic batting. Are you sure you don't mean polyester? I just did a google search for acrylic batting, as I am always curious about a batting I haven't previously been aware of, and found nothing.

One other thing I wanted to mention is that both polyester and wool batting will quilt down very flat with heavy quilting. That is why they give such excellent relief in the unquilted areas, even with double batting. I have also found that the added weight of a denser batting like cotton, 80/20 or bamboo will make a double batted wallhanging hang nicer. If you double batt with the denser batting on the top, you negate the effect. I learned that the hard way with this quilt: Agave Garden, the big reveal