View Single Post
Old 10-16-2018, 07:25 AM
tropit

Default Chilis and Their Sauces

Every year the garden is different. There's always something that flops and something that shines. In 2018 my tomatoes weren't the greatest, but the peppers really put on a show.

The Shishito peppers were the big hit this summer. We toasted them up in a little oil, salted and served them up as a hot appetizer. So easy! This pepper is not hot, but very flavorful. One plant puts out a lot of peppers and we had about 5 plants. We still have some that are waiting to be harvested.

The Ring O Fire peppers also outdid themselves. These are cayenne style chilis and they are HOT! I'm going to make some hot sauce out of them by grinding them up and soaking them in AC vinegar and a little salt...and maybe a squeeze of lime.

Bell Peppers were HUGE this year! I had a hard time picking them because they grew so big while nestled between the plant branches. They got stuck in there. I've been chopping the bell peppers up, blanching them and putting them in the freezer.

Aneheim Peppers and Poblano Peppers also did really well. We've been roasting them over the stove flame, then putting them in a plastic bag to sweat, then rinsing off the charred skin. They are then stuffed with almond cheese and slathered with a fluffy,whipped, egg batter and fried in a little oil. I just use enchilada sauce (Victoria brand is my favorite) as a sauce. OMG! They're heavenly! LMK if you want the recipe.

Sheep's Nose peppers did OK, but I didn't plant enough plants to get a big harvest. I hoped to have made pickled peppers with them, but I didn't really have enough to make it worth the while. Same with the Cubanelles.

Next year I want to make my own enchilada sauce with our homegrown peppers. I'm not sure which varieties to plant. Ideas?

~C

Last edited by tropit; 10-16-2018 at 07:27 AM.