Old 10-25-2018, 04:45 AM
DawnFurlong

Originally Posted by notmorecraft View Post
If your needle size is smaller than the recommended size for the thread that will affect your stitching. I have an HZl different model can’t think offhand, but I followed Leah Days way and don’t drop my feed dogs.
Originally Posted by Sailorwoman View Post
I have had the Juki DX7 for a few years now and haven't had to adjust the bobbin thread. Try very small increments in the top tension. I use Aurafil 50 in both top and bobbin but I use Topstitich 14 or Microtex 14 needle. What foot are you using? I use the open toe free motion presser foot but I bought that as an option. Good luck!

Ok, so a size 14 needle came with the machine (different label on the Organ envelope than I have seen). Compared it to my other needles, seemed same size (I had wondered if Juki accidentally put the wrong needle in my machine). Auto tension, left the feed dogs up and definitely better!! I'm very relieved, I have been playing around with this each day as I was determined to make it work!
I knew I'd find the answer here, and I am glad it seems to have been the needle.

I actually don't drop the feed dogs on my Elna; however, the feed dogs seem to be up slightly more on the Juki (and sharper on those front teeth) so I wondered about running my fabric over it. I do use a slider (teflon oven liner has worked fine for me). However, my feed dogs are partially exposed on my Elna - never noticed a problem with the back of my quilt. But wondering about the Juki as the teeth seem up more. I have accidentally sewn my slider to my quilt, so I do tape the edges. And this is why my hole in my slider is cut bigger than just the needle hole (so easy to sew it to the back of the quilt). I never thought about the exposed feed dogs on my Elna though, I'll admit.

Notmorecraft - do you use a slider of some sort? If so, are the feed dogs covered (as would be with a Supreme Slider) - or exposed in any way?

Sailorwoman - I am using the floating foot that came with my machine (it is not open toe, but I do plan to buy that one).

I guess I have been spoiled that my Elna has been okay with whatever is in the machine (and generally that has been a Universal 80/12). OR - perhaps I just didn't realize that my quilting could be improved by changing the needle I was using. Will be trying the size 14 on my Elna to see if I notice anything different!

Attached Thumbnails organ-size-14-needle-med.jpg   auto-front-size-14-needle-med.jpg   auto-back-size-14-needle-med.jpg  

Last edited by DawnFurlong; 10-25-2018 at 04:49 AM.