View Single Post
Old 10-27-2018, 02:31 PM
tropit

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
Tropit, so sorry for my delayed response. My red chili sauce always turns out better when I make it with broth from either chicken or pork but you can try this recipe from an old cookbook I have that has never steered me wrong in authentic Mexican dishes. The book is called Mexican Cooking Class Cookbook https://www.amazon.com/Mexican-Cooki.../dp/0881761842

3 oz dried chilis (the cookbook calls for ancho but I almost always mix them up with a combo of ancho, mulatto, pasillo and often add in Guajillo too.) You must toast, seed, devein and rinse the dried chilis. 3 oz is about 5 dried chilis. I find it easiest to toast them in a 250 degree oven for about 3 to 4 minutes. Seeding, deveining and rinsing removes most of the heat but leaves all the complex flavors ranging from smoky to fruity.
2 1/2 cups boiling water (or stock)
2 tbsp. of tomato paste
1 clove of garlic minced (or you can put it through a garlic press)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp cumin
(I always use more, usually 1/2 tsp or to taste sometimes I add even more but I love the flavor of cumin)
1/4 tsp ground coriander (I have omitted this with no detriment of the flavor)
1. Place chilis in bowl with boiling water, let steep for at least 1 hour (I have let it sit as long as overnight)
3. Transfer chilis and all liquid to a blender and puree until smooth
4. Put pureed chili sauce in a saucepan and add all other ingredients. Simmer covered stirring occasionally for 10 minutes.

Last week I had made a pork shoulder in the crockpot and added garlic and onion to the liquid. Along with some rosemary and thyme, salt and pepper. I decided to make enchiladas out of the leftovers and had saved the liquid from the crock pot to make the sauce. So instead of water I used that. After steeping my chilis in this broth and pureeing them I tasted it to see what it needed from the normal recipe ingredients. The sauce was so flavorful and delicious I only added the cumin and nothing else. I didn't use all the sauce to make the enchiladas so froze the remainder to have with naked Chili Rellanos.
Thanks! I'm gonna try this!

~ C