View Single Post
Old 10-29-2018, 07:21 PM
zozee

Oh, my goodness, I'm so tickled for you! And not just because of Hamilton, but because you will be so close to where I spent some wonderful childhood years. You are going to Little River, which is halfway between Alden and McPherson.

My dad pastored a church in Alden in the mid 70s. I was 9-10 years old. Population maybe 150? The roads aren't paved...well, maybe Main St, which is all of 3 blocks long and has a post office, cafe (which goes in and out of business), the quilt shop, and a grain elevator. LOL Seriously, it's a sleepy little town but the quilt shop is hoppin!! ANd the owner has a Smart Car covered in quilt designs! Probably parks it out front every day.

But wait, there's more! When we lived there, the streets weren't named. The main street was just called "uptown."
As in "I'm going up town to the cafe', I'm going uptown to the post office."

There was a huge five-and-dime/craft store owned by the rich lady in town. She eventually turned the whole space into a humongous quilt store! I've never seen so much fabric. Well, at the tender age of 96, she decided she ought to think about selling it, and she did. The new owner revamped it, and it is a great quilt shop--Alden Prairie Crafts. You simply must go. It's big and bright and friendly. People come from far and wide to Alden Prairie Crafts. It's the biggest thing in town. My best friend still lives there!

Small world!!!

PS I've been to MSQC also. Darling mecca for quilters. Each building has a specialty type of fabric, so choose your favorite types to visit. Start in the main one, get your pass and map, then walk around. There is a Subway and another place to eat right next to the main bldg. We liked that one. It's always windy in KS, so bundle up!

Last edited by zozee; 10-29-2018 at 07:30 PM.