Old 11-24-2018, 03:59 PM
Battle Axe

There were 86 quilts, about half were finished quilts, Hand Quilted, and the others were tops but none of them were hand pieced, just machine pieced. I gave the auctioneer the full force of my feelings.....he knows me well, so it didn't hurt at all. He said he had tried some machine quilted ones and they (??) just would not buy them.

I feel he had a successful sale. For the atmosphere. He had 4 buyers, quilt shop and furniture shop owners who bought the majority of the finished quilts. I recognized one who was a local person and one I had seen before there, and then the one I talked to was from Kansas. Now I am in Northern Indiana along the 80 - 90 turnpike. This man had flown in and was flying back out tonight, ahead of the storm. He bought 18 quilts spending about $320.00 each on an average. There was a 10% buyers premium which means he had to pay the auctioneer an extra 10% above what he bid. He was shipping the quilts.

Most of the quilts he bought were appliqued, Country Love, Rose of Sharon, Lone Star, all common patterns that have sold well at this auction. The local buyer bought 16 mostly finished although there were some tops included. Some local Amish women bought tops, just a few. The cheapest finished quilt was $250.00 and the most was $380.00 and one for $390.00.

He got rid of everything except for the 4 Humong people quilts called Elephants Foot that did not sell.

I actually bid on one. It was a top, Dresden Plate done very well in reds, wines, and florals. I bid it up to $85.00 and then let it go. I can make it for that.

I agree Joe's Mom that trimming is the hardest. I lifted my Janome off a table and messed up my left hip. Oh great.

Kristakz, where is your Autumn Sampler? I have one more block to make on mine. May be some Unkers salve on my hip and some ibuprophan.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-25-2018 at 04:02 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps