View Single Post
Old 12-07-2018, 07:13 PM
cathyvv

Buy used, but try before you buy. Make sure the machine is set up on the frame, ready to do a sample quilting, when you look at it. If it works, great, then buy it.

My first machine, HQ16 was purchased used and worked great. I used it with the PC Quilter, an automated quilting system for 8 years. My DH cleaned it for me about every two years, and except for dust around the needle area, it was very clean. It never needed any other maintenance. My sister is happily (I think) learning to use it in her home.

I upgraded to a Q'nique 21 because it was a good buy even after adding the automated quilting system - and - there were no used Long Arms for sale within driving distance of me. If a used HQ with a Pro-Stitcher was available and close enough to try it out, I would have gotten a larger HQ.

One word of caution - the HQ16 user manual was scant. Very basic information in it. (The newer, larger HQs may have more info in their user guides.) If you and your husband are going to take down and set up a used HQ on your own, take some video's of the 'take down' to 'remind' yourself of what goes where during the set up.

Last edited by cathyvv; 12-07-2018 at 07:16 PM.