View Single Post
Old 12-13-2018, 06:55 AM
kay carlson

My pressing station is an older computer desk with a separate space underneath to the right for a tower. The flip down door designed for the keyboard access is invaluable. At my 5' 10" height it was necessary the desk be placed on bed risers.

The homemade 48" by 24" "big board" with boards to keep it centered on a regular ironing board (too many boards!) gives a few more inches of height to make this perfect for me. The "big board" pad underneath the twill canvas cover is two thin layers of a felted wool blanket.

With a washable removable strip of twill as protection, the "big board" surface is protected when I use fabric finish prior to cutting. Two rotary cutting mats 18+ inches by 24 inches are stored on the pull out keyboard shelf. The shelf has been covered with the nonslip rubber matting used in my Craftsman tool chest.

My felted wool mat is about 15" square. I do not use steam with the wool mat. My only regret is that I should have ordered a slightly larger size wool mat. With that said, I will make do and find this set up ideal for my purposes.

----Oops, I forgot to mention two items about the desk. 1. Command hooks on the vertical right and left sides hold quilting rulers. 2. An electrical strip with amp protection and separate shut off toggle is mounted on one vertical side.