View Single Post
Old 12-15-2018, 02:14 PM
coopah

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
this looks pretty neat! I did not know they could use them on fabric, though it sounds like you have to be careful when cutting natural fibers as they burn instead of melting. Usually the machine is not as expensive as the software that runs it, though I did see one that you can use the design software you already have, and then import that.

I've been wanting my husband to get a plasma cutter for the shop - would not work on fabric though!

Yes, laser cutting can be done successfully on fabric. Katie Flynn Nichols (no relation, no business interest, etc) in 2011 cut out fabrics for a DWR that I made. She told me how much of each fabric to buy and I washed, ironed, sent them to her, and they came back to me all cut and ready to go. It was amazing!! Yes, some of the pieces has slightly brown edges from the heat of the laser, but it was well within the 1/4" and washed out completely when the quilt was done. I never would have been able to do a DWR without the aid of the laser cut. Just me. But if laser cutters were available at a reasonable price and one wanted to do complicated patterns, it would be a way to go.